Thursday, August 25, 2005

Spark of interest in XML

I did the cycling trip today. We started at 11:00 am and I was back home at 12:20 pm. It was pretty cool to be wide awake and refreshed so early, usually I'm all groggy from waking up at that time.

I also noticed a really nice introduction article to XML on Sitepoint. Its an excerpt from Sitepoint's Tom Myer's new XML book and I was actually so impressed by it that I ended up ordering the book. I have such a bad habit of getting all excited about some technology but then dropping it after I've grasped the basics and moving on to a new one. I wonder if I have some sort of an attention disorder? Well my studies are going well so far so at least it's nothing serious, if anything at all.

The title of the article, "A Really, Really, Really Good Introduction to XML" caught my eye, as I had tried to learn XML's concepts about a year and a half ago from some O'Reilly book but I found the book really dryly written and soon lost interest in it.

Again I'd love to be able to really immerse myself into studying these things and not to lose my interest so easily. Let's see, I'm going to make a written promise here to really dig through the Sitepoint book and pick up everything it has to offer. Okay, getting sidetracked here..

Back to the article, I read the first part of it in one sitting as it was written in such a great fashion. I really hate the articles and books written for people who consume several hundred page RFC documents as a bed time reading without a yawn. Tom Myer's article is written for the (relatively) regular people like me. :) And that doesn't mean it's someway lacking in the content, it tells what you need to know at the time and doesn't throw the whole specification in your face on the second page.

I'll read rest of the article series tomorrow and start planning my own PHP and XML driven content management system.

By the way, I'm in no way affiliated with Sitepoint, Amazon.com or any of the other places I link to about books or other stuff, I don't get any money if you click them and end up buying, they're just my recommendations. If I do join some affiliate program, which I doubt, I will mention about it.

More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home