Monday, August 29, 2005

Still alive

Uh oh, I wonder if the magic is wearing off as I didn't post anything yesterday. I don't have much to say today either, the last few days have been a bit uneventful.

There's the hurricane Katherine but I'm a bit disappointed with the local media as it hasn't been covered much. It's "marketed" as the "hurricane that will annihilate the whole New Orleans" but then they don't talk about it. Last thing I heard was that it wasn't as bad as people feared and is weakening, which is good. I don't know if casualties were avoidable but I hope the number is at least low.

The thing that seems to interest our media way more is that the first ever Finnish Big Brother started today. That would be the reality TV format. I don't know, I hate to admit that I was expecting it and will probably follow it quite a bit at least in the beginning to find out if it's any good. We had a Finnish version of the Survivor some time ago and it was pretty boring, I guess Finnish people really lack the drama that's required for Survivor to work for me at least.

So the school is starting soon, I have to go there tomorrow and Wednesday some lectures on the freshmen guiding thing I'm participating in. The freshmen actually arrive on Thursday so the next two weeks after that will be pretty much hanging around with them around the campus and in several freshmen events. I'm sure it will be nice.


There's a pretty cool event in Wednesday night. The release party of an independent Finnish amateur scifi parody Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning will be held in the Tavastia Club in Helsinki. It's really interesting as the movie has been in the making for.. I don't even remember how many years and it has turned from a pretty small thing to a rather large, almost professional production. The movie is a parody inspired by series like Star Trek and Babylon 5 and its actually the sixth movie in a series. The first ones were pretty crude animations made with almost ancient hardware and software and the fifth one was the first one shot in video, but In The Pirkinning is really in its own league compared to the previous parts. All the movies, including the upcoming one are and will be available for download from their web site and you can also support them by pre-ordering the new movie on DVD. I almost forgot to mention, I think the main man behind the movies, Samuli Torssonen, has funded the production almost completely out of his own pocket. Although I think they might have received a lot of sponsor support lately, he has nevertheless put a lot of money and effort into this. Hats off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home