Friday, August 12, 2005

Work from six to two

As I mentioned in the previous post, I have a pretty lousy summer job. I won't go in to the details but it's basically order processing ie sitting at a terminal and typing in what customers want. It's extremely repetitious and boring. My biggest dislikes are the early wake ups and that the job is so simple that there's no room for creativity, I'd really like something to keep my mind sharp.

The regular morning shift starts at 6:00 am so I have to get up at about 4:45 am so that I can take a shower, eat breakfast and get to the train in time. For some reason the train schedules are really stupid so a trip that would normally take about 15 minutes, takes more like 35 minutes of which 20 minutes is spent sitting in a stopped train car. The schedules were just fine last summer but for some reason the rail company changed them at least on the route in use, but I guess they have their reasons and it helps some other routes.

Anyway I'm not really built for waking up so early, I go to sleep reasonably early (around 22:00-23:00, that's 10-11 pm) and although I manage to get up pretty easily in the morning, I get incredibly tired at home after work. This leads to taking naps after work which really fucks up my head and I can't really function for about an hour after waking up which consequently ruins the rest of the day.

The job is not all pain and misery, my boss an coworkers are all great people, pretty much the reason that keeps me there and there are probably way worse jobs out there. I'm also really in no position to complain because I'm there due to not seriously looking for a better summer job earlier this year. I initially got here in April of 2004 after my military service and worked all the way to September until my school started. Getting a summer job here this year was just a matter of e-mailing the boss so I had kind of unconsciously decided to slack off with the job hunting and come here. I've promised myself to really look for a better job next year..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home